Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lemon Loaf Cake


I wasn’t so sure about doing this recipe.  I have to go out of town on business this week and my husband will also be away for a few days. Who is going to eat this?  When I go away, my friend and neighbor helps out with my dogs.  She has a wicked sweet tooth!  I’m sure this loaf will be a big surprise for her when she lets my dogs out the first time!

I decided to follow the recipe with only one addition.  After reading all the comments on the TWD blog, I added the juice of one lemon to give it more lemony flavor.  Boy, am I glad I did.  I don’t think it would have much of a lemon flavor without it.  Even with only one lemon, it’s very mild and delicate tasting.  I really like it!  I am not a huge fan of lemon desserts probably because they are usually too heavy on the lemon, but this is just right. 

One of the best gadgets in my kitchen is a microplane.  I think I have about four different ones.  I used the one especially for grating citrus. It has a bigger surface which allows you to make quick work of a lemon or any other citrus fruit.  Here is a picture of the one I use. 




After assembling all the ingredients, the batter came out looking buttery yellow. You can see the flecks of lemon rind.  This will melt away once the loaf is baked.  


I timed it for 55 minutes, not wanting to bake it too long.  However, when I checked on it after the timer sounded, it needed those extra five minutes to finish baking the center.  It was still a little under cooked when I inserted the toothpick.  After another five minutes…Perfection!!  What a beautiful little loaf. Others thought it was too dry, but when I tasted it, it melted in my mouth and was very moist. 


This recipe can be found on page 252 of Baking with Julia or at this week’s hosts sites, Truc and Michelle

Happy Baking!

Karen

5 comments:

  1. Im glad you made it! I hope you found someone to enjoy it with you:)
    I love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice & what a clever pouring bowl that is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your loaf looks great. I think I might need to get myself a microplane....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love microplane graters. They're awesome! I especially like the big box grater for cheese. Your loaf looks quite tasty! Your friend is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete